Battersea Flour Mills, Battersea
The mill was constructed in 1884 by the Mayhew family. It was purchased by Joseph Rank Ltd in 1913 and rebuilt.
The mill was remodelled by Henry Simon in 1970 to an 80 sack mill, producing 10 tonnes of white bread-making flour per hour. The screen room (wheat cleaning) was remodelled and upgraded by Swiss engineers Buhler in 1984.
The majority of wheat used in the mill was grown in the UK and brought in by road, whilst North American wheat was brought up the River by barge from Tilbury docks. Following increased capacity at Solent Mills, Southampton and increasing London land values and environmental pressures the mill ceased production in 1995 and was demolished in 1998, being replaced by apartments.
|Alternative names||Mark Mayhew Mill|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 268 769|
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, London (1869)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, London (1915- Numbered sheets) VIII.8 (1916)
- Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 104
Robert Morton, November 2018.
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.