Steam mill, Crowle
The mill is sometime eroneously described as being a flax mill. James Wilson appears to have been the first Miller (Post Office Directory, 1868; Whites Directory,1872, 1885). It would appear that he was declared bankrupt in 1883 and the mill was sold at Auction in 1885. The mill then appears to have passed into the Fillingham family, most likely by Elijah Fillingham, however he died in 1887 and the mill is shown as being operated by his wife Elizabeth in the 1889 directory (Whites Directory, 1889, 1892, 1896). Wilfred Fillingham is shown to be the miller in the 1905 directory (Whites Directory, 1905, 1909). It would appear that the conversion to the Primitive Methodist Manse took place in 1908/1909 as this is the first time a Primitive Methodist minister is shown as living in Bourne Villa; 1909 (Whites Directory, 1909). Prior to this the ministers appeared to have lived on Vicarage Walk, although in 1905 Rev John Swales is listed as living on Gas Road.
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SE 7713 1312|
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Lincolnshire IX.14 (1886)
Angus Townley, January 2017
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.