Post Mill, Hattu
Built in 1867, the mill was move from elsewhere in the village to the grounds of the local blacksmith for preservation. The body is 10 ft. by 8 ft. 1 in. with a side entrance. A low sub-structure and clasp-arm sheers doubled at the sides support for the side walls, which are framed and vertically boarded. The sails, which have 4 in. by 3 in. whips, are 8 ft. 8 in. long and 7 ft. 2 in. wide at the tip. The windshaft is supported by an outboard bearing from a platform built out in front of the mill and a ladder leading up to the nose of the windshaft. The clasp-arm brake wheel is at the tail end of the windshaft and is 3 ft. 4 in. diameter, of compass-arm construction; the brake of iron acts on 120º of the rim. It drives a single pair of stones through a lantern wallower and there is a ratchet and pawl on the front of the horse for adjusting the shoe angle. The post comes up through a clasp-arm steady bearing and there is no crowntree. There was a spare wooden collar lying in the mill.
|Hattu, Pielisjärvi, North Karelia
- Wailes, Rex, & Auvo Hirsjärvi, "Finnish Mills Part IV: Post Mills", (Transactions of the Newcomen Society, 45, 1972-1973, pp.93-104)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.