Hailuoto Mill, Hailuoto
Built 1712, moved from Isola-Potti Farm. The body of the mill is 9 ft. long by8 ft. 8 in. wide by 16 ft. 8 in. high inside measurements, and 25 ft. 2 in. high from the ground. The windshaft is octagonal, 17 1/2 in. across the flats at the headwheel, which is a clasp-arm wheel converted from a compass arm wheel and has 38 cogs, 4 3/4 in. pitch, 3 1/4 in. face and 3 in. depth, while there are eight staves in the lantern. This drives a single pair of stones with a hopper on the right-hand side instead of (as is usual) to the left. There is a build-up show with a wooden slide in the shoe itself, a sack stand by the hopper and an octagonal casing. The wrought-iron stone-spindle is only one in. diameter. The hand sack hoist is on the left-hand side in the tail.
|Mill type||Post mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Location||Hailuoto North Bothnia|
- TIMS Mills GPS Database Mill ID 2772
- Wailes, Rex, & Auvo Hirsjärvi, "Finnish Mills Part IV: Post Mills", (Transactions of the Newcomen Society, 45, 1972-1973, pp.93-104)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.