Luhtas-Köykkä Farm Mill, Luopajärvi
The mill dated from 1873. In the forepart of the stone chamber are three pairs of stones and in the rear part a gangsaw. The upper part of the mill was burned; the fire was started by a spark from a portable engine which was used to drive the mill in later times.
The hollow post is 32 1/2 in. square outside and the upright shaft driving down is no less than 13 in. diameter. The stone chamber itself is 15 ft. 3 in. high to the eaves. The three pairs of stones are on a hurst on the ground floor; two pairs are driven from a solid great spur wheel through wooden stone nuts; the third pair (used for peeling) is driven by belt from a pulley on the stone spindle of the adjacent pair of stones. There is also a wooden saw clamp, a loose wooden stone-nut, and the old wooden lantern wallower. Only one hopper is left complete and this is slung by four hooks. The shoe, made partly of bent wood, is vibrated by a spring trailstick held in the floor above against the stones below. On the first floor of this two-storey stone chamber a granite stone is used as a flywheel-cum-pulley to drive the frame saw; this stone is 45 in. diameter by 10 in. thick.
The construction of the frame saw is almost entirely of wood with four saws cottered into place on iron cross-pieces and with iron spindles and clamps; all else except the bearings is of wood.
|Luopajärvi, South Bothnia
- TIMS Mills GPS Database Mill ID 2966
- Wailes, Rex, & Auvo Hirsjärvi, "Finnish Mills Part III: Hollow Post Mills", (Transactions of the Newcomen Society, 44, 1971-1972, pp.99-118)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.