Smock Mill, Uusikaupunki (1)
The mill resides on a whale-backed ridge above the town, which also carries a water tower, and on the southern slope a well laid out rock garden. It was built in or moved to its current position from Rauma in Satakunta in 1843.
It was moved from Rauma in 1909, is known as a "Kehäsiipimylly" ("circular sailed") mill. Perhaps "spider-sailed" would be a better description in English. The framework of the sail consists of eight main arms and each section has two further subsidiary arms. There are four bracing laths to each section, so that the effect is that of three concentric octagonal frames. The inner and smallest frame is filled with seven radial laths set at an angle like an early American wooden "fan wheel" and angled for clockwise rotation. Each of the eight main arms is braces with iron rods to an iron bowsprit. The span of the sails is just over 32 ft. and at the bottom point is 50 in. from the ground. The mill body is 24 ft. 6 in. high, the ground floor is 16 ft. 6 in. across, while the diameter at the dead curb is 9 ft. 8 in. The cap is centred by the extended cant-posts and is octagonal, coned with a round petticoat.
The gearing is all wood; clasp-arm brake-wheel, bevel wallower planked solid, compass arm great spur wheel and lantern stone nut; the gear ration is 103 : 22 and 44 : 28. The single pair of stones are standstone, 3 ft. 10 in. diameter and are underdrift on a heavy wooden hurst above the ground floor with a trail stick to agitate the shoe. The brake wheel is smashed. The bowsprit is of modern welded construction with a sleeve on the rod shaft extending back almost to the brake wheel. Vertical thrust bearings in the mill are of the pot and pintle type and there is screw adjustment for the bridgetrees.
|Uusikaupunki, Varsinais Suomi
- Wailes, Rex, & Auvo Hirsjärvi, "Finnish Mills Part II: Mamsel or Smock Mills", (Transactions of the Newcomen Society, 43, 1970-1971, pp.113-128)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.