Andersson's Mill, Loviisa
This mill is dated 1824 on the weather cock. It was given to the town by Mr. Baumgartner who moved it to the present site on the highest point above the town, where five or six mills once stood on a rocky site. It has bad mock sails; the multi-angular cap is shingled; the tower is vertically boarded and painted Falun red. It is 28 ft. 8 in. across the base with a cross-based frame. The cap was turned with a hand winch with holes for capstan bars, but the rope had disappeared. The four-piece windshaft is 18 in. square and in front of the tail bearing a lantern pinion 4 ft. diameter drives an upturned face gear wallower, 8 ft. 6 in. diameter. A clasp arm great spur wheel drove two pairs of 4 ft. diameter granite underdrift stones on the first floor from which the stone furnishings have been removed: all thrust bearings are of the pot and pintle variety.
|Mill type||Smock mill|
- Wailes, Rex, & Auvo Hirsjärvi, "Finnish Mills Part II: Mamsel or Smock Mills", (Transactions of the Newcomen Society, 43, 1970-1971, pp.113-128)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.