Smock Mill, Janakkala
Mill has single-sided cloth-spread common sails.
At Janakkala Open Air Museum there is a mill in very poor condition and considerably vandalised. Sails and windshaft remain, but the braced tailpole has gone and the vandals have left nothing intact above the first floor. The gambrel cap has a weather vane dated 1883, the frame of the tower is cross-braced and is vertically weather-boarded. The wooden upright shaft carries a great spur wheel which drove two pairs of 3 ft. 10 in. granite stones overdrift on a hurst on the ground floor with octagonal vats. Behind them is a wooden fan in a casing and immediately above it a pair of 3 ft. diameter peeling stones. Only one lantern nut remains on its two-piece wrought-iron quant which forms a coupling for the two parts of the quant. On the ground floor was part of the rim of a face gear with round-stemmed wooden cogs, the rectangular shoulders of which were located in shallow registers cut in the rim. The upright shaft has a pot and pintle bearing, but the stone spindles have standard bridging boxes.
- Wailes, Rex, & Auvo Hirsjärvi, "Finnish Mills Part II: Mamsel or Smock Mills", (Transactions of the Newcomen Society, 43, 1970-1971, pp.113-128)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.