Mervi Manor, Hattula
Mill has single-sided cloth-spread common sails.
There is a covered look-out stage replacing the cap but no sails or tailpole. The mill dates from 1885. It has a tower 33 ft. 6 in. high to the curb, 23 ft. across on the ground floor and 11 ft. 10 in. diameter at the curb which was live with iron rollers. The windshaft is now a sham one, but carries a clasp-arm brake-wheel which drove a lantern wallower; a clasp-arm great spur-wheel is mounted on a 14 in, square upright shaft and drove lantern nuts, thrown out of gear by removing a segment of flange complete with the staves. The gear ratio was 49 : 22 and 50 : 12. There are two granite stones, 3 ft. 8 in. diameter, mounted on law plinths, the casings are octagonal and the meal outlets to the spouts are external and accessible if a cover is removed. The outlets from the hoppers are narrow and rectangular conforming to the knotted rope for positive engagement, and the sack hoist was operated by hand with a wooden Y-wheel and a pulley on the upright shaft just above the ground floor level. The stones were tentered by adjusting wedges between the bridgetrees on the first floor.
|Mill type||Smock mill|
- Wailes, Rex, & Auvo Hirsjärvi, "Finnish Mills Part II: Mamsel or Smock Mills", (Transactions of the Newcomen Society, 43, 1970-1971, pp.113-128)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.