Hythe End Mill, Wraysbury
Hythe End Mill, the smaller of the two mills in Wraysbury, stood near the junction of the river Colne with the river Thames. It was probably one of the two Domesday mills in Wraysbury. For much of its life it was worked in conjunction with the Wraysbury Mill. During the 1860s it was operated by Messrs Ladell and Ibotson and was noted for its manufacture of millboards, powered using steam and water combined. For a period the mill was abandoned and neglected, but by 1907 it was again in operation with the water wheel once again turning. The mill was finally closed in the early years of the 20th century, and the premises were converted to a factory.
|England, United Kingdom
|TQ 018 722
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.