Culvett Mill, Wraysbury
At Domesday there were two mills in Wraysbury (then spelt Wyrardisbury) on the Colne Brook. In 1289 John de Remenham and his wife possessed a mill in Wraysbury; it was in the possession of William atte Stoke in 1325, and by 1547 George Bulstrode of Horton held Coltnett or Culvett watermill as a free tenant of Wraysbury Manor. Records from 1605 indicate that the mill was in use for paper manufacture. Names associated with the mill include William Sandford and Robert Brome, who had two mills in 1647, John Leader and James Meeres were paper makers in 1725, and in the next thirty years William Pearson, and Ralph and John Crowder were involved in the running of the premises. Subsequently the building has also served for the production of corn, iron, copper, silk and snuff. In 1888 Messrs Isaac Warwick & Co. took over as paper makers and continued through to about 1919, steam power having been introduced during that period. The Bell Punch and Ticket Co. then occupied the premises, the site having developed over the years from a simple mill area to become an industrial complex. At some stage two modern hydro turbines coupled to a generator were installed to supply electric power to the factory. On March 19, 1938, the premises were partly gutted by fire. The mill was finally closed in 1971.
|Alternative names||Coltnett Mill, Wraysbury Mill|
|Power source||Steam, Water|
|Mill function||Corn mill, Paper mill, Silk mill, Snuff mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 015 744|
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.