Wythditch Mill, West Wycombe
There were several Domesday and medieval mills on the West Wycombe Manor lands, all traces of which have disappeared, but their existence is known through old records. In 1086, three mills were recorded. There are references to a mill called Wythditch or Wytedicke from 1251 and 1267, and in the early 1300s two mills are referred to in West Wycombe. In 1400, a fishpond at Pitmill was recorded. Finally, there are several references to Margery Mill. In 1457 it was rented by John Pusey, even though it was in a ruinous state; nevertheless, further records followed in 1502, 1520 and 1550.
|Alternative names||Margery Mill, Pitmill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 83730 94150|
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.