Pitstone Mill, Pitstone
There are early references to one, or possibly two, water mills from 1231, 1306 and 1346. In 1520 William Cowper had custody of Pitstone mill for a twenty-year period. For three or more centuries thereafter there is virtually no recorded history of the mill. Bryant’s 1824 map shows Pightlesthorn watermill – the old form of the village name. In his 1930s account Stanley Freese identifies the watermill as a pink-walled, slate-roofed building next to the Bell Inn on Marsworth Road. Various internal features showed the building to be of a considerable age. Within the building was a 15 foot overshot wheel, 5 ft wide, which although not being worked at the time could soon have been brought back to life.
|Alternative names||Brook End Mill|
|River||Great Ouse, Whistle Brook|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SP 94243 16057|
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
- Historic England National Heritage List for England
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Buckinghamshire XXX (1884)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.