Kingsey Mill, Kingsey
The parish of Kingsey has, in its time, been assigned to both Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. The old cornmill there was one of the last three thatched watermills in Bucks, the others being Notley and Padbury. A wooden breast-wheel, just over 4 feet in diameter, was located within the mill. Some time before 1828 Henry Young, millwright, and his celebrated uncle, Robert Young, took charge of the mill. Henry remained for some 50 years, being listed there in 1877. By the 1930s, the mill site was occupied by a small red brick building spanning the stream, within which was a small six-armed iron overshot wheel with 36 curved buckets. The wheel was used to pump water to the farm buildings at Tythrop House.
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SP 740 064|
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.