Thorney Mill, Iver
On the Colne Brook, this fine old wooden-walled mill building was already derelict when visited by Stanley Freese in the 1930s. At the time, the waterwheel was still in place – a breast type, with 3 sets of 8 iron arms, with L-shaped buckets. At Domesday, there were three mills in Iver, of which one was probably Thornley. Records from 1842 show that it was occupied by John Owen, and used for paper-making. By 1877 Price and Co. were the paper manufacturers here. Over the years the site was expanded and used for other forms of manufacturing. During the first world war, millboard was made here. Later the premises served for a while for paint-making, followed by the manufacture of iron water pipes.
|Mill function||Paper mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 048 794|
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.