Bridge Mill, High Wycombe
At Domesday six mills were recorded in High Wycombe. In later times, further mill sites were developed. Overall, eleven mill sites are known, ten mills surviving into the 20th century or late nineteenth century. The name Bridge Mill originated from the bridge at entry to St Mary Street. The last mill was from the late16th or early 17th century, but contained timbers from earlier times. The Thurlow family had the mill from the 1820s to the 1870s. A fire in 1933 or 1934 finished the corn milling operations, but it was then used for a period as a business for shoeing and general smithing. The building finally became derelict.
|Alternative names||Millbank Mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 866 929|
- Farley, Michael, County Museum Archaeological Group, "Buckinghamshire Watermills" (Records of Bucks, 24, 1982)
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.