Temple Mill, High Wycombe
At Domesday six mills were recorded in High Wycombe. In later times, further mill sites were developed. Overall, eleven mill sites are known, ten mills surviving into the 20th century or late nineteenth century. Temple Mill, also referred to as St John’s Mill, is located in the heart of the town. The Bowdrey family had the mill in 1674, and Robert Bowdrey was the miller in 1791/2. By the 1930s the foundations of the mill survived and the Mill House remained.
|Alternative names||Bowdery's Mill, St John's Mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 863 932|
- Farley, Michael, County Museum Archaeological Group, "Buckinghamshire Watermills" (Records of Bucks, 24, 1982)
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.