Broughton Mill, Bierton with Broughton
There has been a mill at Broughton since Domesday. In 1798 Isaac Wheeler was the miller. He was followed by Francis Farmborough, then successively by John Price, James Gilbert and Richard Fowler. The next miller, William Bates, ran the mill for many years until it ceased operation in about 1930. With red brick walls and a slate roof, it was standing disused when visited by Stanley Freese in the 1930s and had become a house conversion with a tiled roof by the time JKM visited in 1975.
|Alternative names||Broughton Manor Mill|
|Location||Bierton with Broughton|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SP 845 136|
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
- Major, J K, SPAB Mills Section Record Card (1975)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.