Brill Mill, Brill
A watermill was recorded at Brill at Domesday, site unknown. There was then a very long gap, with no mention of watermills until recent times, when a small water sawmill was erected on the parish boundary, on a branch of the River Ray. The mill is thought to date from the period 1800 to 1810 and consisted of a small pink building, with a red galvanised iron roof, with a wing forming a wheelhouse over the stream. The original wheel was overshot with small cup-like buckets; this was replaced by wooden breast wheel, 15 ft diameter by 4 ft. The wheel is actually in the adjoining parish of Wotton. Subsequently the power source was changed to a small portable steam engine. The mill was not robust enough to handle heavy timber and fell into disuse in about 1918, at the end of the first world war. When visited by Stanley Freese in the 1930s, the building was already derelict and internal machinery had been dismantled. See also Wotton Underwood Mill.
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SP 650 119|
- Farley, Michael, County Museum Archaeological Group, "Buckinghamshire Watermills" (Records of Bucks, 24, 1982)
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Related shop products
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.