Water Eaton Mill, Bletchley
Records refer to a single mill in 1308, whereas later in 1324 and 1370 two mills are mentioned.In 1798, the miller was Matthew Goodman. He was succeeded by John Hitchcock, whose descendants continued to operate the mill well into the 20th century. The mill was renovated just after 1800, with brick walls and a shallow slate roof. It had an undershot iron wheel. Before 1923 a 12 ft breastshot wheel had been installed. In 1923, James Smith took over and installed a turbine driving roller mills. During the drought of 1935, there was insufficient water to drive the mill and an engine was installed for emergency use only.
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SP 883 330|
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.