Powis Castle Sawmill, Powis, Welshpool
This Grade II* Listed mill had an overshot waterwheel. The saw-mill was probably built c1820-1830, and was water-powered from a stream taken under the Montgomeryshire Canal by an inverted syphon, and from the canal itself. The cast-iron feed trough was installed in 1844, made by R & W Jones of Ruabon. The mill was re-equipped in the 1890's, and the present horizontal saw was installed at that time (supplied by Robinson's of Rochdale): in order to accommodate it, the mill was extended with a short wing on the S side. Water-power continued to be used at the mill until 1949, when electrical power was introduced.
|River||Shropshire Union Canal|
|Mill function||Saw mill|
|Country||Wales, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SJ 22162 05859|
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales
- Historic Wales Cadw Listed Buildings
- J Kenneth Major
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Montgomeryshire XXIII.11 (1902)
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.