Marston Hall Donkey Wheel, Martin
This donkey wheel, 4.26m (14ft) diameter and 1.21m (4ft) wide, worked until 1912. Here the water delivery arrangements are quite peculiar. The water was emptied from the buckets into a tank at ground level from which it was pumped by hand to a cistern. The braking device, necessary to prevent the bucket returning to the bottom of the well, is worthy of study. A rope is fixed to the wall, taken right round the outside of the wheel, and then attached to a lever. When the lever was moved over the brake rope tightened, and the lever was then locked in place with a peg to keep the brake taut.
|England, United Kingdom
|TR 340 471
- Major, J. K. Animal-Powered Engines, (B.T. Batsford Ltd London, 1978)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.