Chart Gunpowder Mills, Faversham
The site is a scheduled Ancient Monument. Surviving walls have been restored and preserved. Last surviving gunpowder mill of at least four 'double mills', Chart Mills were established by the government as part of the Home Works in 1760. It closed in 1934, and all of the mills were demolished c.1938, except for one half of a double mill because its waterwheel was being used to drive a pump. It the late 1960's it was 'rediscovered' as a derelict ruin, and its importance realised as being the only complete water-powered gunpowder mill in the country. It was bought by the Faversham Society and restored by them and is open to the public. Of the machinery, it retains its 16' breastshot wheel and two pairs of edge runners.
|Mill function||Gunpowder mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TR 00950 61226|
- Alan Stoyel, Mills Archive Foundation Trustee
- Historic England National Heritage List for England
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Kent XXXIV (1877)
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.