Haughton Mill, Darlington
The mill was built between 1750 and 1770 for use as a corn mill. In 1790 John Kendrew of Darlington built a flax spinning machine to produce linen. The industry declined in the 1830s and the mill closed in about 1840 and was sold in 1844. It was then used as a smithy producing agricultural machinery until around 1900.
|Mill function||Corn mill, Flax mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||NZ 3128 1578|
- North East Mills Group
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Durham LV.7 (1897)
John Robinson, February 2019
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.