CWS Flour Mills, Avonmouth
Built 1908-1910 by the Cooperative Wholesale Society (CWS), this mill was designed by their architect, Mr F E L Harris. The mill was built using a reinforced concrete method invented by Hennebique. The mill was opened in 1910, and had a capacity of 30 sacks per hour capacity when first opened in 1910. As the mill was extended, this capacity increased. The mill was extened several times, and the extensions took place in 1920, 1921, 1923, 1925 and 1936. Mr. Leonard Gray Ekins, architect for CWS, designed a new granary silo for the 1923 extension.
Milling ceased in mid-1980's, and the mill has since been demolished.
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||ST 513 786|
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Gloucestershire LXXI.1 (1916)
- Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 60
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.