Help us keep this service free
Sun Flour Mills, Bromley-by-Bow
Originally a rice mill, the buildings were purchased by the Sun Flour Mills Company and converted to a steam powered flour mill in 1889 with a 12 sack per hour Simon plant. This was increased to 30 sacks by 1907 and 40 by 1917. The mill became part of Associated London Flour Millers Ltd, and was then purchased by J W French in 1941. It then became part of Spillers French Milling Ltd. The mill was destroyed in an explosion on August 7 1965, with 4 killed and 38 injured.
|Alternative names||Bingemann Jacob Steam Flour Mill, Bromley Mills, French's Mill, St Leonard Street Mill|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill, Rice mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 382 822|
- CORN-08 - "A short survey of the Sun Company"
- Illustrated London News, 14 August 1965, p. 27
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Essex (New Series 1913-) n LXXXVI.9 (1916)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, London (First Editions c1850s) XXXVIII (1869)
- Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 102
Related shop products
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.