Publication:

Der Eisenhammer Dorfchemnitz Osterzgebirge

    Full details

    English titleThe Dorfchemnitz Hammer Mill, Eastern Ore Mountains
    Authors & editors

    Fischer, Ruth [Author]

    Publisher Rat der Gemeinde Dorfchemnitz
    Languages

    German (main text)

    Medium Book
    Edition1
    Topics

    Mining & extraction > Iron

    Scope & contentSummary Translation
    The Dorfchemnitz hammer mill is situated in the valley of the Chemnitz river, close to an iron ore deposit that was exploited from the 16th to 18th century.The text starts with the factors that led to the construction of this and other local hammer mills.The second part of the booklet describes the history of the mill, which was established in 1567. Little is known of its high point, but it burned down in the 19th century and was rebuild in its current state in 1844. The closure of the mines in Freiberg (Saxony) in 1913 forced it to switch production from items destined for the mining industry to machine parts. It became uneconomic with the general introduction of steam hammers, and in 1939 was bought by the local administration. It was almost struck from the list of cultural monuments in 1945, but rescued at the last minute, and eventually restored as a showpiece.The third part outlines what is known about the owners and smiths, their living conditions and wages and the final part describes in some detail the working of the mill, including the technical specifications for the two wheels, the water flow, the tram and tongs. It ends with a timeline of the mill.The booklet is illustrated with black-and-white photos of the mill and some of its machinery, and also of the surroundings. There is a diagram of the mill in 1950, and sketch maps of the relevant road networks in the area taking the products of the mill to Freiberg.
    KeywordsMillwrighting, Milling, Germany, Mining & quarrying, Iron & steel, People, Archaeology & history

    Copies held

    Accession no. 229739

    • Shelf location: W 114.3_FIS
    • Donor: Ken Major Collection

    Accession no. 229740

    • Shelf location: W 114.3_FIS
    • Donor: Ken Major Collection