Mühlen in Neubukow: Geschichte und Gegenwart
|English title||Mills in Neubukow|
|Authors & editors|
German (main text)
|Scope & content||Summary Translation |
A booklet about the past and present of the mills in Neubukow in the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania in northern Germany, formerly in the GDR.
The first mention of the oldest mill in the town was in the 14th century, but by the early 19th century the mill ponds were silting up, and the mills became unable to supply flour to the city. In 1826 permission was granted to build the first windmill.
Most of the text is devoted to windmills.The text describes the life of the millers in both wind and water mills, their rights and obligations, the payments made to them and the rent they paid and their contracts. It also describes the development and expansion of the various mills.
Several mills have burned down over the years, and not all have been rebuilt.
One, belonging to the Evers family, which burned down in 1909 and was rebuilt in 1910 is now categorised as a working monument. In 1937 it was fitted with Bilau sails, known as “wind edges” (Ventikanten); they were restored in 1981 so that they can again turn, and are the only example in the GDR. The text describes in detail the construction and working of this mill. The booklet contains black-and-white photos, sketches and diagrams of the mills, including a close-up of a Bilau sail, and photos of millers at work.
The latter years feature photographs of the miller's daughter who took over responsibility for the mill.
|Keywords||Millwrighting, Milling, Germany, Cereals, People,|
Accession no. 229700
- Shelf location: A050
- Donor: Ken Major Collection