Museumsdorf Cloppenburg

    Full details

    English titleCloppenburg open air museum
    Authors & editors

    Kaiser, Hermann [Author]

    Publisher Museumsdorf Cloppenburg
    Year of publication 1985

    German (main text)

    Medium Book


    Scope & contentSummary TranslationIllustrated guide to the Cloppenburg open air museum in Lower Saxony, which contains examples of rural buildings from the region, including 3 windmills and a horse mill.Number 8 is the cap winder originally built in Bokel in 1764, which was at that time the most up-to-date design. The mill was initially run cooperatively, but was soon leased to a miller. The mill was sold in 1896 to Josef Hackmann, whose son gave it to the museum in 1938, where it was re-erected in 1941, one of the first mills to be restored as a cultural monument. There follows a description of the construction of the mill, of its working and of the milling process, with two cross-section diagrams and two sketches of the interior.Number 31 is the hollow post mill originally built in Edewecht in 1879, one of only two surviving such mills in Lower Saxony. It was moved to Altenoythe in 1904, but fell into ruin, and was rebuilt in the museum in 1956. As was typical for late 19th century mills, drive transmission was via a slim, iron shaft, rather than a massive wooden one. It was able to produce both coarse and fine flour. The mill is illustrated with two cross-section diagrams, and a photo of the family of the mill builder.Number 34 is a horse mill, from the Hof Wulfert in the Osnabrück district, used for threshing and as a grist mill. It was built in 1868 and is the only surviving example of this kind of mill in the district. The main wheel has a diameter of 6 metres; the machine turned 284 times for every circuit made by the horse.Number 50 is the post mill from Essern, probably built in 1638 and thus one of the oldest windmills in Lower Saxony. Archival evidence points to a post mill already existing there in 1598. It was originally a few kilometres from Essern, and its purpose was to grind flour when there was insufficient water for the Diepenau water mill. The sails were shortened in 1749 to prevent them hitting and killing sheep grazing around it. It was moved to Essern n 1870 and altered shortly afterwards and enlarged further in the 20th century. It was transferred to the museum in 1966, and is now in working order. The mill is illustrated with two cross-section diagrams, and a photo of the mill with its 19th century additions and alterations. The second part of the book gives an overview of the historical social structure of rural area and the development of rural crafts, including a general history of mills and the principles of milling.

    Copies held

    Accession no. 229627

    • Shelf location: W 114.3_KAI
    • Donor: Ken Major Collection