Milling journals of the past. The British Engineering Works of Mr William Whitmore

    Full details

    Authors & editors

    Cookson, Mildred M [Author]

    Publisher Milling & Grain
    Year of publication 2017 March

    Medium Digital

    Repair & construction of mills > Engineers and millwrights


    Scope & contentThis well-established British Engineering Works featured in ‘The Miller’ of November 2, 1885. Continuing their series of visits to the firms principally involved in the manufacture of flour milling machinery, they reported on the ironworks at Wickham Market. The site benefitted from its closeness to the then Great Eastern Railway, with a telegraph office close by. It was also then, among the oldest established engineering and millwrighting workshops of England. The Wickham Market Ironworks were already more than 100 years old, having been founded in 1780 by the Grandfather of the senior partner running the firm in 1885, William Whitmore.

    William, after serving an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering with a firm in Lincolnshire, was taken into partnership by his father. At that time the firm had started to manufacture steam engines and boilers and had installed them in the Chelmsford and Barking steam mill of Messrs Ridley as well as in the Isle of Thanet steam flourmills. In 1862, Mr John Whitmore senior retired and William succeeded him along with John Whitmore Junior…Read more.


    File attachments