Milling journals of the past. Our Milling Engineers and the Milling Revolution
|Authors & editors|
|Publisher||Milling & Grain|
|Year of publication||2016|
Cereal processes > Flour milling > Commercial millers
|Scope & content||Buchholz and Co, founded by Gustav Adolf Buchholz, received an order from Messrs. W Baker & Son, a well-known miller in Bristol, to design a gradual reduction system for the manufacture of 5,000 sacks of flour per week. The intended new mill was to replace one that had burnt down. The building of the mill, the engine and the wheat cleaning system were carried out under the personal direction of Mr. Baker. |
The system of flour making, introduced by Mr. Buchholz, was set up to suit the requirements of the trade in the South of England, and his knowledge of gradual reduction, first introduced in 1864, was widely regarded as unsurpassed.
Mr J Harrison Carter of London reported that during 1883 he had put in important additions to the gradual reduction mills at several sites in the UK and a number, which he erected, were of high capacity output. Mr Carter had also been working on mills in Ireland. Mr AB Childs & Sons of London had started up three mills on the Jonathan Mills’ system; one at Chelsea belonging to Mr E Mead, another at Kirkaldy, Scotland owned by Mr W Hogarth, and a third at Blackburn in Lancashire belonging to Mr Appleby & Sons…Read more.