Moulin de Castel. restauration d'un moulin à roue horizontale. commune de la Rouquette, Aveyron.

    Full details

    English titleCastel Mill. Restoration of a horizontal wheel water mill. Commune of Rouquette, Aveyron.
    Authors & editors

    Association Rouergate Des Amis Des Moulins, Association Des Amis Musée Du Rouergue [Author]

    Publisher La Rouquette
    Year of publication 1995

    French (main text)
    Italian (main text)

    Medium Book


    Scope & contentBrief summary translation A guide to the plans of the restoration project on Castel Mill (Moulin de Castel.) The mill is situated in the western side of the Rouquette commune a few kilometres from the Villefranche-de-Rouergue along the Dassou river- which fuels the wheel. It is a building from the thirteenth century, with beautiful rural architecture. This architecture is much endangered today. The mill had been left in 1945. In 1955 it was due to be demolished due to the degradation of the angle of the mill. The abandonment of the building left it in a sad state- the roof caved in, the interior completely destroyed, the exterior invaded by vegetation and moss. The canal which bought the water was obstructed, leaving the mechanism without service. It needed a lot of work to repair. Within two years there had been a group set up to restore this mill. Includes a summary of the history of the association- the Association Rouergate des Amis des Moulins, and the idea of the project. Everything began in 1986 with a visit to the Dassou river by Jean-Pierre Azéma during his thesis project in geography on the “water mills in Anveyron.” The following year, the Association Rouergate des Amis des Moulins was created, and is now a daily event. In 1989, the general assembly of the association was organised in south-Anveyron in the Chateau de Montaigut. In 1991 Jean-Pierre Azéma and the Association decided to focus on the Dassou and Assou valleys. They also bought the Moulin de Castel. 1st July 1994- the first phase of the restoration project began to take shape. A new mechanism was placed in the mill by Andre Viala and Didier Bosc. Includes a section on the Dassou and Assou valleys- there were 14 water mills built in these areas due to the canals/ rivers. All of them were of the same type- with a horizontal wheel. Gives information on the idea of the project- how it was formed and whose idea it was. Also discusses a partnership with the E.D.F (école E.D.F.) organisation for this project. The project was presented to a group of young people in Saint Affrique, a commune in the Aveyron region of France. Includes a section on the aims and objectives of the project. Also the motivations of the project: to give new life to the mill, open it for a new commune, open it for the preservation of rural patriotism, to have a group project, and to teach and learn about the architecture and the function of a mill. Gives detailed information and photographs on the cleaning of the interior and exterior of the mill as well as the assembling of a new wheel, and other parts of the mill. Includes a photograph of the team of conservators and those involved in the restoration project. Gives information on the production of grain at the mill. Gives information on expenses related to the project- the materials, transportation, provisions for the workers etc. Includes Italian names for parts of the mill in the section on the restoration of the mill.

    Copies held

    Accession no. 229394

    • Shelf location: Z00
    • Notes: Includes a piece of paper reading "with the compliments of the Association. The Chairman J.P. Azema" Signed by the chairman of the Association Rouergate des Amis des Moulins.