Milling journals of the past. JW Aizlewood’s Crown Mills Sheffield Part 2
|Authors & editors|
|Publisher||Milling & Grain|
|Year of publication||2021|
|Scope & content||This article follows on from last month by describing changes at Crown Mills since 1906. The Miller in June 1928 described a visit to the mill following Henry Simon’s reconstruction of the mill and its wheat cleaning department. |
The firm, by 1928 named John Aizlewood Ltd, was founded at Masborough, a town near Rotherham in 1857, and was transferred to Sheffield in 1861 to the Albion Crown Mills. As business developed and larger premises were required, the founder, the late Mr John Aizlewood, purchased a site in Nursery Street and erected the current buildings, known as the Crown Flour Mills in 1878. By the time The Millerâ€™s visit occurred, the mill was marking its jubilee in the same year as that of the National Association of British and Irish Millers… Read more.