Read's Flour Mill

    Full details

    Authors & editors

    Publisher East Anglian Film Archive
    Year of publication 1993

    Medium Website

    Cereal processes > Flour milling


    Scope & content4 minute documentary

    Between the River Wensum and King Street stood Albion Mill, an 1837 yarn mill, repurposed in 1932 as a flour mill by Robert John Read.

    Albion spinning mill was used for making worsted silk and mohair before being converted for making confectionery and then used for many years as the Read Woodrow flour mill. This location was also the site of St Olave's chapel which was demolished in the 14th century. After the Read Woodrow business closed in 1993 shortly after this film was made, the building stood empty for a decade until it was finally sold in 2005 and subsequently re-developed into riverside apartments.
    Web URL