Museumsmühle in St. Julian
|English title||The Mill Museum in St. Julian|
|Authors & editors|
|Year of publication||1985|
German (main text)
|Scope & content||A guide to the mill, now restored as a museum, in St Julian in the Rhineland-Palatinate on the river Glans, built in 1596. The text details the history of the mill, including changes in ownership and names of millers and legal disputes in the late 18th century. |
From its early days it contained not only a grain mill, but also an oil mill, originally for the walnuts growing in the area, but later mainly for rapeseed and turnips.
The guide describes the water control structures, the craft of mill construction, the operation of the oil mill, the pair of stones, the mill feed and the hulling of spelt.
The booklet is copiously illustrated with black-and-white photos and diagrams of the mills and their working parts. The inside back cover shows a map of St Julian with the river and millstream clearly indicated.
Accession no. 230512
- Shelf location: C114