River Lea Navigation improvements

    Full details

    Authors & editors

    Howorth, Ben [Author]

    Publisher Institution of Civil Engineers
    Year of publication 1932

    English (main text)

    Medium Offprint/Journal Supplement

    Water supply & management > Irrigation & drainage


    Scope & contentThis paper describes the changes and improvements made to the River Lea Navigation to accommodate the larger barges with a minimum standard width of 16 feet decreed in 1922.
    This paper describes the improvements that were made between 1924 and 1930, particularly the new walls in the Limehouse Cut that was particularly narrow and tidal and new sluices at Hackney Cut.
    The costs of the main improvements from 1928 are outlined. Works were carried out variously by Messrs Baldry, Yerburgh & Hutchinson (1924) and Messrs W and C French (1929-30).

    Copies held

    Accession no. 230301

    • Shelf location: I600
    • Notes: Selected Engineering papers no 36, Hard-backed reprint