Boyd family millwrights and engineers of Hull

    Full details

    Authors & editors

    Moseley, Janet [Author]

    Publisher Janet Moseley
    Year of publication 2017

    English (main text)

    Medium Book

    Mining & extraction > Iron
    People and communities > People, families & firms
    Arts, culture and heritage > Traditional millwrighting
    Wind & watermills > England > Yorkshire & Humberside


    Scope & contentThis book tells the family history of George and William Boyd who moved from Scotland to Hull in the East Riding of Yorkshire. They founded a dynasty of three companies of Hull millwrights and engineers in 1810 to 1943. They originally millwright journeymen for Jonathan Booth, millwright, Over the North Bridge but took over his business when he Booth died in 1810. Booth was a successful millwright in Malton before taking over the workshop of Gwynn & Oldham, near the Foundry in Hull in 1802. Chapter headings: Background to the Boyd family in Hull; G & W Boyd, millwrights 1810-1842; The Boyd family in the 1840's and 1850's; Boyd Brothers and George King Boyd 1840's to 1878; Edward Boyd & Sons (Hope Iron Works) 1867-1943. Windmills built by the firm include Patrington Haven, Grovehill, Burton Pidsea, Huggate, and Ellerby (Ellaby). In the 1850's, the company built a wind and steam mill on Dansom Lane near the well-known Subscription Mill and a windmill at Roos. They also added windpower to existing watermills at Cottingham and Beverley Park. As millwrights they could also safely dismantle mills such as Welton windmill. Apart from windmills they built a saw mill at Witham and horse mills in the 1820's, taking out a patent. They made improvements to bone crushers allowing for the cutters to open up if they encountered stones or iron. They also introduced an internal rope in their windmills to stop the sails from any floor inside the mill, first used on Mr Blundell's paintmaker's mill in Spring Row (now Springbank), Hull. They branched out into machine engineering in 1830 manufacturing water pumps. The company had its own foundry for iron and brass in Holderness and made their own millstones. The last company was the Hope Iron Works on Holderness Road.

    Copies held

    Accession no. 230091

    • Shelf location: A250-BOY
    • Donor: the author
    • Notes: Signed by the author