Publication:

Flohrmühle Eschede, Geschichte und Geschichten

    Full details

    English titleThe Flohr mill in Eschede, history and stories
    Authors & editors

    Leune, Dirk [Author]

    Publisher Samtgemeinde Eschede
    Year of publication 1981
    Languages

    German (main text)

    Medium Book
    Edition1
    Topics

    Wind & watermills by Region > Other Europe (not GB) > Germany, Austria & Switzerland

    Scope & contentSummary TranslationBooklet published to mark the reopening of the restored Flohr smock mill in Eschede. It starts with an overview of the development of milling and the reputation of millers, before going on to look briefly other corn mills in the Eschede region. It lists surviving watermills in the Celle region, and others that have since disappeared but whose locations are more or less known, and the post mills and smock mills of the same area. The rest of the text deals with the Flohr mill which was built in 1874. It gives the background to the period, then describes the milling process. The mill was sold to the Flohr family in 1907, who enlarged it from the 1920s onwards and branched out into other businesses like threshing, sawing and deliveries. Wind gave way to diesel and the old building became too small and after being used as a store and then for practices by the fire brigade, was left to decay. The village purchased the mill and the land it stood on in the late 1970s and restoration was carried out in 1980.The book is illustrated with diagrams and photos. At the back are a number of advertisements by local firms, some connected with mill restoration.
    KeywordsMillwrighting, Milling, Germany, Cereals, People, Archaeology & history

    Copies held

    Accession no. 230042

    • Shelf location: W114.3_LEU
    • Notes: Summary TranslationBooklet published to mark the reopening of the restored Flohr smock mill in Eschede. It starts with an overview of the development of milling and the reputation of millers, before going on to look briefly other corn mills in the Eschede region. It lists surviving watermills in the Celle region, and others that have since disappeared but whose locations are more or less known, and the post mills and smock mills of the same area. The rest of the text deals with the Flohr mill which was built in 1874. It gives the background to the period, then describes the milling process. The mill was sold to the Flohr family in 1907, who enlarged it from the 1920s onwards and branched out into other businesses like threshing, sawing and deliveries. Wind gave way to diesel and the old building became too small and after being used as a store and then for practices by the fire brigade, was left to decay. The village purchased the mill and the land it stood on in the late 1970s and restoration was carried out in 1980.The book is illustrated with diagrams and photos.At the back are a number of advertisements by local firms, some connected with mill restoration.