Publication:

Twyford and Ruscombe through the ages

    Full details

    Authors & editors

    Curtis, Audrey [Author]

    Publisher Twyford & Ruscombe Local History Society
    Year of publication 2016
    Languages

    English (main text)

    Medium Book
    Edition1
    ISBN9780948245190
    Topics

    Wind & watermills by Region > England > Berkshire

    Scope & contentAn in-depth study of the parishes of Twyford and Ruscombe from stone age settlements to the modern day. There is a section on the mills and millers. A silk mill was set up in 1799 by the Billinge brothers and continued in business until 1829 when they closed. This was a direct result of the abolition of excise duty paid on French silk imports in 1825 which led to the demise of the British silk industry. The mill used child labour and paupers causing the local school to close for a while because of all the children working in the mill. One of the mills became a steam corn mill in the ownership of Francis Wardle who then sold it to the Davis family in 1842 who enlarged the mill in 1878, rebuilt it after a disasterous fire in 1891, and installed roller flour milling machinery. It continued in business until1950. There is information about the milling families and particularly the Victorian philanthropic and social enterprise of the Davis family.

    Copies held

    Accession no. 229990

    • Shelf location: S 400 (2.81)-CUR
    • Donor: Donated by Audrey Curtis