Publication:

Mills at War A selection of the more difficult to access sources

    Full details

    Authors & editors

    Cookson, Ronald F [Author]

    Publisher The Mills Archive Trust
    Year of publication 2019
    Languages

    Medium Binder
    Edition1
    Topics

    Arts, culture and heritage > Social and economic history

    Tags

    Conflict, warfare & military issues
    The Mills Archive Trust

    Scope & contentBinder of photocopies of the more obscure references in Mills Archive Research Publication no 10

    Copies held

    Accession no. 240977

    • Shelf location: A045

    Divisions within this publication

    • 1: Azéma, J-PH, "Grande Guerre 1914-1918: Les moulins au coeur des combats et de l'économie", Le Monde des Moulins, (50) pp 4-28 (October 2014)
    • 2: Shea, V and Whitla, W (eds), Victorian Literature: an Anthology, Wiley, Chichester p 258 (2015).
    • 3: Sinclair, J Transactions of the Society, Instituted at London, for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce, 155 - 158, 35 (1817) [available at https://www.jstor.org/stable/i40060573
    • 4: Devereux, F, "Certain improvements on the mill or machine for grinding wheat and other articles, commonly known by the name of the French Military Mill", Patent no 4885, London PRO (8 January 1824)
    • 5: Needham, J, Science and Civilisation in China Vol 4, Physics and Physical Technology, Part 2, Mechanical Engineering, pp 255–257, Cambridge University Press (1965).
    • 6: Luytsz van Kittensteyn, Willem, Spieghel ofte afbeeldinghe der Nederlandtsche Geschiedenissen, Delft (1613). [Atlas Van Stolk
    • 7: Fairbairn, W “Description of a Floating Steam Corn Mill and Bakery”, Proc. Inst. Mechanical Engineers,' 1858, pp 155-158.
    • 8: Ward, O, "British Burrstones, 1791 - 1821", Melin, (1) pp 31-45 (not paginated in the journal) (1985).
    • 9: "New Life for Idle Sails: Windmills Part in the War Effort", Birmingham Mail, 12 May (1944).
    • 10: "The End of National Flour", The British Medical Journal, 1 (4979) p 1347 (9 June 1956).
    • 11: Northwestern University Library, http://www.library.northwestern.edu/ Ref: PAR 00215, Accession no: 1-260 (1871).
    • 12: Von Valvasor, Johann Weikhard Freiherr, Topographia Ducatus Carnioliae Modernae, (1679).
    • 13: Moog, B, "Notes on Some Fortified Mills in the Southwest of France", TIMS Newsletter (28) pp 4-8 (1984).
    • 14: Charpentier, D, “Des Moulins fortifiés en Aquitaine”, Le Monde des Moulins, (29) pp 24 – 27 (July 2009)
    • 15: Griffiths, C, "The early life of the Windmill at Bamburgh Castle", The Bamburgh Research Project (2012).
    • 16: Gramaye, JB, Antiquitates illustrissimi ducatus Brabantiae, Louvain (1708).
    • 17: Diderot, D, Encyclopédie, ou dictionnaire raisonné des sciences, des arts et des métiers, Paris (1771).
    • 18: Shomette, DG, "Heyday of the Horse Ferry", The National Geographic Magazine, 176 (4) pp 547-556 (October 1989).
    • 19: Hill, DH, “The Battle of Gaines’s Mill”, Century Magazine, 30, pp 294-309 (1885) and Porter, FJ, “The Battle of Gaines’s Mill and it Preliminaries”, Century Magazine, 30, pp 309-324 (1885).
    • 20: De Wit, P, "The Battlefield", The Campaign of 1815: A study, see http://waterloo-campaign.nl/bestanden/files/june16/ligny.0.pdf (2017) and Denewet, L and Smeyers, A,
    • 21: "A French Sniper", Navy and Army Illustrated New Series, III (23) 23 January p 3 (1915) also the front cover of J’ai vu… (7) 31 December (1914).
    • 22: Van der Drift, L, “Dutch Windmill has its moments in WWII”, International Molinology, (82), pp 34-36 (2011).
    • 23: Robertson, Sir MA, The Dame of Sark and others, The Sark Mill; An Appeal for funds to preserve it, The Sark Mill Fund, Sandbanks, Bournemouth (ca 1948).
    • 24: Hyde, BJ, "Signalling by Windmill", Windsor Magazine, XXVII, pp 299 - 302 (Dec 1907 - May 1908).
    • 25: "The Two Secrets of Windmill House: never a Mill; it was an important War-time Post", Dover Express, 4 July (1958
    • 26: Tennyson, C and Robertson, MA, Walberswick Old Pumping Mill, Suffolk; an effort to preserve an old Suffolk landmark, (April 1951).