Help us keep this service free
Abbey Mill, Leeds
Preserved remains, most machinery. Abbey Mill was last worked in c.1922 by the Blinkhorn family; the upper two weatherboarded storeys were pulled down in c.1959 for reasons of safety, although fortunately the ragstone base survives, roofed over with much machinery. The overshot iron waterwheel, 16’ x 3’ 4” was made by Weeks of Maidstone and survives in good condition. It drove three pairs of stones on a ‘half floor or ‘mezzanine’ hursting, driven by two bevelled layshafts from the pitwheel. During demolition, the machinery from the upper floors was brought downstairs, and includes two wire machines. In the 1980’s the remains were Grade II Listed.
|River||Tributary to Len|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 82310 53117|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Historic England National Heritage List for England
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Kent XLIII.SW (1898)
Rob Cumming, May 2016
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.