Post mill, Bledlow Ridge
The mill was in existence by 1798. It was of open-trestle design, with 3 crosstrees and 6 quarterbars, and had 4 common sails. Detailed measurements are given in Smith (1932, p. 130). It ceased work in 1913 and was used as a water tower. By the 1930s it was in bad condition with only 1 sail remaining. It was pulled down in 1933.
|Mill type||Post mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 7973 9781|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Group, "Buckinghamshire Windmills" (Records of Bucks, 20 (4), 1978)
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Buckinghamshire XLI.7 (1880)
- Smith, Arthur C, Windmills in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire: a contemporary survey (Stevenage Museum publications, 1976), p. 22
- Smith, Donald, English windmills, vol 2 (Architectural Press, 1932), p. 129
- Vince, John, Windmills in Buckinghamshire and the chilterns (Format Publishing, 1976), p. 16
- Windmill World
Related shop products
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.