Help us keep this service free
Halstow Mill, Lower Halstow
Used as a store, no machinery. A mill was established here by Boxley Abbey as early as 1315, probably occupying the site of the current building which survives as a three storey yellow brick structure in good condition, probably dating from the mid-nineteenth century; however it appears that an older structure of black weatherboard was incorporated within, perhaps an earlier mill building. It stopped working around 1903, and the machinery removed. Scrape marks on the wall suggest an internal overshot wheel of about 14' diameter; the leat and extensive mill pond have been filled in, and the mill house is a twentieth century rebuild.
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 85923 67220|
- Alan Stoyel, Mills Archive Foundation Trustee
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Kent XX (1869)
Rob Cumming, May 2016
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.